Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Vocabulary

Emma's vocabulary seems to be growing in leaps and bounds daily. She experiments with new sounds and tries to repeat what we say more and more frequently. Although she sometimes can't (or won't) say some words, she defintely knows what objects are called and will point them out to us.

Just last night, I got out a bowl for dinner and she pointed and said "bowl". I just looked at her. Kurt said he told her what a bowl was earlier in the day and she remembered.

Also last night, Kurt was reading Peek-a-who to Emma and pointing out all the animals on the Zoo page. When he said jaguar, she repeated it. I was in the kitchen doing dishes at the time and walked to the living room to ask if she just said jaguar, they both smiled and Kurt said, I think so! Later, I was reading the same book to her, and worked with her to say Boo! I could see the wheels turning in her head as she tried to figure out how to move her mouth to get the right sound to come out. She didn't say a peep until she was sure she was going to make the right sound...not buh, but boo. It was really neat to watch!

Over the weekend, I was trying to get her to point to her nose. I said something like "I have a nose, where is Emma's nose?" She said "Eye!" and pointed to her eye instead. =)

She has also clearly said cup, book, and cheese recently. She's working on making shoes a little more clear. I think there are a few more, but I can't think of them right now.

2 comments:

Rachel said...

and she said "hey rake - ul" the one day when you were visiting up here!

name said...

This is such an incredible time :)