Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Monday, May 23, 2011

Disaster Cake

A few weeks ago, we asked Emma what kind of cake she wanted for her birthday. Instead of the chocolate or vanilla answer I expected, she promptly responded with, "A Dora cake!" And so the theme of her 2nd birthday party was decided. I wanted to use my new cake decorating skills to make Emma's cake and thought it was in my best interest to practice the cake prior to Emma's party to help alleviate potential probable tears. I found the perfect picture of Dora to use, and got all the right food coloring together. I baked the cake yesterday and planned to ice it tonight. Instead of the icing recipe that I learned in class, I got adventurous (like Dora herself) and tried a new recipe which a coworker passed to me. While the recipe is very delicious, unfortunately, I couldn't get it thick enough to adequately ice the cake and set for me to do a piping gel transfer technique. Oh well, luckily I still have 5 more nights to practice before the big day! I'm sure Kurt's coworkers will still gobble it up though no matter what it looks like!

*sigh* Live and learn. But yay for me planning ahead! :)

On the plus side, I now have all the icing colors made for icing Dora! I think tomorrow night, I'll just practice on wax paper instead of making another whole cake. Plus that way, I can reuse the icing afterwards!

Here's a picture of the disaster cake:

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Disaster cake looks absolutely delicious.

Anonymous said...

Looks super yummy to me!