Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Saturday, April 9, 2011

Mantra

Last weekend, Emma started using the mantra, "I do it!" which is then followed by "I did it!" complete with clapping after she completes whatever it is that she set out to do. We have heard these phrases countless times over the last week, and expect to hear them countless more as she becomes more and more independent.

Some of the times she's adamant about doing things herself this past week:
  • She has to go potty and insists on doing it by herself. Generally, I am able to stick my hand in to turn on the light before she closes the door. I wait about a minute and ask if she needs help. One time, I went in and there was a puddle on the floor. I asked if she tried to pee standing up. Her response, "I did it! Yay!" *sigh* Thank goodness for Lysol wipes! 
  • Usually, Emma insists on taking off her pants and pull-ups whenever she uses the potty. This exasperates me. When she finishes she insists on sitting on the regular toilet and trying to put her pull-ups on herself.
  • At daycare, I attempted to help Emma put on her coat. She pulled the coat away from me and said, "I do it." She almost got it on by herself. She used the 'flip' method, but did it backwards and had it on upside down instead. She also enjoys zipper her coat herself, although of course she can't get it started by herself yet. She zips up her footie pjs at night too.
  • At bathtime, Emma again uses "I do it" and climbs in and out of the tub by herself. 
  • This morning, I went in to pick her up out of her crib, she said, "No, I do it." and got her ankle up on the crib rail. I think it's only a matter of time before she figures out how to climb out. We'll have to move bed shopping up on our list of things to do!

1 comment:

Rachel said...

wow...she's becoming a big girl!